Monday, March 12, 2007

And now, the Continuing Stooory....

Is it normal to be excited about an upcoming doctor's appointment? I've been anticipating my appointment with the orthopedic sports doctor. My ankle has been feeling a little better this last day or two, and this morning I can actually put weight on it without it hurting!

My ebullience about the appointment was quashed a little this morning, though: with 48 hours to go before DR-Day, I received a call from the doctor's office requesting that I make sure to "bring in my X-Rays" when I come to see the doctor. This doctor has never seen me before. He knows nothing about me yet, or about my injury. His office does know that I am having a problem with my ankle, but only because they finally asked why I wanted to set an appointment after 20 minutes of my first responding to their name/rank/serial no. requests when I called to get on the schedule. Had they asked me to get X-Rays then, two weeks ago, I would have had plenty of time to do so. Now, with 48 hours to go and a full schedule between now and then, it's not going to be possible. So, I have to decide if I'm going to (A) show up for the appointment anyway, empty handed, or (B) somehow get them taken maybe after-hours tonight somewhere, or (C) just cancel the appointment altogether because I'm feeling somewhat better anyhow. If I do get the X-Rays, there's a good likelihood that if it is a stress fracture it won't be evident on the film. And, if I do get the X-Rays, there's a chance that since he's never yet seen me, the X-Rays will be taken at an angle other than what he would have wanted, and he'll wind up sending me back for a re-take.

My current thinking is that I'm going to go to the appointment without the X-Rays. I'll let him examine me and then tell me what he wants done. Then, if he wants X-Rays, I'll go and have them taken. They can be sent to him and he and I can then confer on the phone after he has read them. If he needs me back again after that, I'll gladly come back. Considering the treatment for a stress fracture is largely the same as the treatment for a sprain (RICE), and since Stacy is still thinking that the chances of it being a stress fracture are very small, I've begun to question why I'm even going in the first place. Sigh.

Be sure to tune in next episode, when you'll hear Dr. Bob Say:

DR. BOB: Prepare for surgery!

NURSE PIGGY: Dr. Bob, are you really going to remove his brain?

DR. BOB: No, something much more vital than that.

NURSE PIGGY: You mean...

DR. BOB: Yes, his wallet!

In other, more positive, news: I'm now less than 1 pound away from my goal weight! That means I've lost just about 30 pounds since I started in December, having dropped from 197 to 167.9. I've gone from a 38 waist to a 32. My shirt collar has gone from a 17 to a 16. I'm feeling pretty awesome about that. This weekend I started going through my clothing to assemble a pile for donation. I don't plan to ever need pants with a 38 waist again, and I don't want to keep them around "just in case," since that would seem to lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Completely unrelated to running, but just had to share this with the world: My daughter, Zoe, is so mature for her age that we often forget that she's only 7 - just turned 7 in February. Last year when I drove her to school each morning we would play car games and tell stories about forest animals that dress up for parties. This year, the thing she wants to do most is read one of her "chapter books" (she's in 1st grade, reading on a 4th grade level, as she proudly announces to anyone that will listen). She can devour about half of a book in the 30 minutes it takes to get her to school. And I'm not quite sure, at this point, who is fooling whom with this whole "tooth fairy" thing: I suspect that she is playing along and that she doesn't want to let us know that she knows. Occasionally, though, she'll say things that remind us of how young she really still is: This weekend, for example, we saw Barbie in Fairytopia on television. It's a CGI Barbie movie with fairies. While watching it, Zoe turned to me and said conspiratorily "Daddy - I know the fairies can't really fly. It's just like when we saw the live 'Lion King' show at DisneyWorld - the fairies have strings under their clothing. The strings are attached to their belts, and the strings hold them in the air."

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to look on the positive side and hope that you heal up without surgery. You and I have an injury in the exact same spot, except mine is a very bad shin splint (muscles on the left have been swollen and tender since the beginning of the year, but finally getting better).

    I wanted to also follow up and thank you again for linking your blog to our running Blog Database. It has now grown to bloggers from 37 states in the US and 21 other countries of all ages and abilities and has become a great resource for members to find blogs that meet their specific goals and interests. I'll keep you in my prayers that your injury heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete