Saturday, August 8, 2009

One Hour Runner, W1D1

Yesterday morning I did my first run of One Hour Runner. It was identical to the runs in the last week of C25K, so it was a pretty smooth transition. I set out a bit later than normal, so I ran after the sun was already up. This allowed me to see something I wish I hadn't:

When passing the canal that runs alongside the jogging path through Greenacres Park, I spotted something odd enough to make me stop and take a closer look. It appeared to be reptilian roadkill. There was no gore, just what appeared to be the remains of a rather large tail. Size-of-my-forearm large. I spent the rest of my run thinking that it was the remains of a baby alligator, wondering what could have done something like that to it, and wondering why there was no gore. I was nonplussed to see visual confirmation that there are, in fact, alligators lining the path that I run, but I took solace in the fact that this one was dead.

Then, on the way back, I took a closer look. I realized that it was not, in fact, an alligator tail. It was the shedded tail-skin of a snake. Given the size and diameter of the skin, I'd estimate the snake to be maybe 6-10 feet long. Probably a python. This means that there's a huge snake, now too big for its old skin, that calls my running path home. The path that I usually run in the dark. With overhanging trees. Suddenly a few spiderwebs don't seem so intimidating anymore.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, congrats (again) on your graduation.
    That sounds like one scary, beasty you have running around with you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I just finished with the first week of "One Hour Runner" (which is basically exactly the same as week 9 of C25k) and I'm still going strong. I did change my route so that now I completely avoid the road that had the snake skin on it. Instead, now I run alongside a road with big menacing cars that speed by. All in all, it's a fair trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Did you stop running or just stop blogging? Either way, get back on the horse. I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete